Babies respond really well to relaxing essential oils. Sharing the gift of aromatherapy with your baby is a really special (and ancient) way to connect with them. It’s also a great way of introducing your child to the wonders of our natural world…
Your oil burner for bedtime
You can add a couple of drops to your electric oil burner to infuse their room with calm and deliciousness. Check if your burner requires water, so you don’t literally ‘burn’ your oils quickly. Remember babies are sensitive little creatures, so what might be quite subtle for you, may be a pretty strong aroma to your bub, so keep it light.
Pop one drop of lavender oil and one of orange in your oil burner, for a lovely sleep combo that relaxes little nervous systems.It’s also handy to create a routine experience of sleep, so the household gets to know the ‘smell of sleep’ as a helpful trigger in settling in for the night.
Your baby’s body massage
You can explore the oils below to help soothe dry skin and relax your baby. Remember to use a very low dilution of essentials oils in your baby’s massage oil. I use a 0.5% dilution which is 10 total drops of essential oils per 100ml base oil in my baby oil.
Calming oils for baby
- Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia / officinalis) – calming, helps to alleviate stress, soothes the skin and has been used to calm sunburn and repel insects. I especially love lavender from Tassie, it smells like honey and reminds me of special visits to lavender farms. French lavender is gorgeous too.
- Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile) – very relaxing, soothes inflamed skin and has been used topically to ease colic (avoid if allergic to the ‘daisy family’). Always reminds me baking banana bread!
- Orange (Citrus sinensis)- uplifting, relaxing and supports sleeps. Orange is a really ‘happy’ oil, I often use it on grey rainy days. The sweet high notes of orange blend beautifully with the softness of lavender.
Important tips to remember
- Always use 100% pure essential oils, not synthetic (check for the botanical name on the bottle, part of the plant used, extraction method and country of origin). I use organic essential oils from Perfect Potion and Sydney Essential Oil Company.
- Check your oils are in fact safe for use on babies, don’t just assume natural means okay for bubs.
- Do a little patch test of your massage oil on your baby’s skin and wait for 24 hours before applying over their body.
- Never use essentials oils undiluted on your baby’s skin (or your own).
- Never give them essential oils to ingest, just use topically.
I hope your journey with aromatherapy is magical, and fosters a love and respect for natural abundance. Enjoy sharing in this with your baby.
*Always follow label recommendations and observe safety cautions when using essential oils, particularly when applying topically and using on sensitive baby skin. Whilst I have been in love with aromatherapy for most of my life, I am not a qualified Aromatherapist. This information is from ‘The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy’ by Salvatore Battaglia, an experienced Aromatherapist and expert in his field. If in doubt always consult an Aromatherapist.